Attorney Marcus Landsberg grew up in Los Angeles but spent summers with his extended family members here in Mo’ili’ili, Hawaii to keep him out of trouble. As a youth Marcus watched as his father was forced to sue a major multinational company for breach of contract. That case went up to the United States Supreme Court twice and spanned 13 years and before the Landsberg family received justice. Watching that solo Attorney provide the Landsberg family the help they needed when they were at their most vulnerable provided the drive for Marcus to attend law school.
Marcus received a full academic scholarship to the University of Arkansas, where he served as the president of the Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity and earned two separate scholarships to study in two separate Universities in Japan. He then obtained his J.D. from William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii, where he was given the opportunity to study law throughout Asia. Attorney Landsberg’s diverse background, with extended stays in Los Angeles, the American South, and even the Far East developed the way he is able to communicate with all types of people here, now having lived in Hawaii for twenty years.
Marcus started his legal career as a public defender at the Hawaii State Office of the Public Defender in Honolulu by spending six and half years handling a wide range of criminal cases. He then opened his own practice and took on all types of criminal defense cases, and civil cases such as temporary restraining order (TRO) cases. He has handled cases as small as traffic tickets and as serious as Murder in the First Degree.
Some of Attorney Landsberg’s most notable cases include:
- Successfully defended a Husband who had been wrongly accused of Assault in the Second degree in a very high publicity, emotionally-charged case. The family has since had another child and has never been in trouble with the law, before or since that case (2009)
- Helped Tiki Truck, Aloha Ice Cream Tricycle, and other food trucks get their charges dismissed –and got the law changed – and after a very public drive to push these food trucks out of downtown Honolulu. (2012)
- Successfully had a Motion to Reconsider granted by the Liquor Commission on behalf of Wang Chung’s, a small Waikiki bar that had been a target of homophobic attacks. The Liquor Commission does not frequently entertain motions to reconsider. (2014)
- Prevented a client from getting charged with attempted murder. (2015)
- Won an appeal before the Hawaii Supreme Court, getting his client’s conviction and sentence reversed, with the Supreme Court agreeing that the Defendant had not “Escaped” from prison. (2016)
- Won Multiple DUI and Abuse-type trials for members of our nation’s military, preserving their career, where a loss meant expulsion or demotion in the Armed Forces. (2006 - present)
See more of his cases here!
Since January 2004, Marcus has been active in Courtrooms around Big Island, Oahu, Maui, and Kauai, giving advice on morning radio and building his reputation for strong trial work. He even successfully defended a DUI on Molokai. He serves as political & senior legal correspondent for MAUIWatch.
Now married with two children, Marcus lives to see in his client’s children the same look Marcus once had, knowing he has come full circle since that attorney saved his father, a lifetime ago.
Contact Marcus today to see how he can help you!